For similar information for students, see NC State Regulations and Rules for Student IT Use.
The following list of NC State IT regulations, rules and procedures apply to NC State employees when using the computing and data network resources provided by the university. Colleges and departments may have addtional rules and procedures for the acceptable use of their IT facilities and services. See also the Information Technology section of the Policies, Regulations and Rules Website for NC State.
- POL 08.00.01 – Computer Use Policy
This official regulation governs the acceptable use of the campus data network and computing resources for administrative, academic and personal use. Some regulations apply only to faculty and staff, who are state employees.
- Computer Use Regulation Summary and Guidance (“plain English” version)
- REG 08.00.10 – Antivirus Software Requirements
This regulation mandates the use of approved antivirus software on all Windows and Macintosh computers connected to the NC State network. See NC State Antivirus Resources.
- REG 01.25.02 – Copyright Infringement – Policy Statement. See also:
- REG 04.25.05 – Information and Communication Technology Accessibility
This regulation specifies how NC State will meet its legal obligations to provide university Information and communication technologies, including Web content, in formats that are accessible to persons with disabilities. For help in complying with this regulation, see IT Accessibility.
- NC State University Password Standard
This document provides details of the rules governing Unity account password strength and password change.
- NC State Consolidated IT Purchasing Information
The university requirement to purchase laptop and desktop computer hardware through the Combined Pricing Initiative process became effective November 8, 2010.
- Data Sensitivity Framework
This framework enables users of university data both to assess its sensitivity level and secure it accordingly from risks which may include, but not be limited to, unauthorized destruction, modification, disclosure, access, use and removal.
- RUL 08.00.13 – Networked Printer Security Standard
Rules and procedures for university computing accounts and other systems and services supported by the Office of Information Technology:
Services for faculty and staff
- Faculty, staff and guest computing accounts Procedures for account creation and deactivation.
- Unity Email and Calendaring Services (also called Gmail, gcal or Google Apps)
- ncsu.edu Mail Alias Service
- Mailing List Services
- Unity Locker Rental
Procedures for obtaining additional Unity (AFS) file space
- www4.ncsu.edu services
Rules for personal (unofficial) Web pages created by NC State students, faculty, staff
- Optical Mark Reading Service
- Network Security Regulations
- Network Registration – Host registration
- Rules for Implementation of Wireless Networks at NC State
Send questions and comments to the NC State Help Desk: firstname.lastname@example.org
Official Policies, Regulations and Rules (PRR) Disclaimer:
This site contains information regarding policies, regulations and rules (PRRs) of North Carolina State University. To the extent of any conflict between the information on this site and the actual policy, regulation or rule, the actual policy, regulation or rule governs. NC State policies, regulations and rules can be found at the Policies, Regulations and Rules Website for NC State.