An NC State email alias provides an easy-to-remember alternative email address that points to your NC State Gmail address.
If you have an alias, you may want to set up your Gmail account so that your email appears to be sent from your alias.
- NC State faculty, staff or graduate students
- Campus units (e.g., department), student organization
- Undergraduate students are not eligible.
Alias formats, with examples
Your alias cannot conflict with an existing alias.
Individual alias (for faculty, staff and graduate students)
Should represent your real name.
- Conventional NC State alias format:
- Alternative formats:
- Other format that meets both of these criteria:
- is based on your real name
- contains more than eight (8) characters or an underscore
Departmental alias (for campus units, student organizations)
as an alias for firstname.lastname@example.org
as an alias for email@example.com
To obtain an alias
Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- your preferred alias in the format:
- your Unity email address:
- your campus department or unit
You will receive confirmation by email, usually within a few hours.
To set up your alias
- Sign in to your NC State Gmail.
- At the top of the page, click on the gear (settings).
- From the drop-down menu, select Settings.
- Select the Accounts tab.
- Under Send mail as, click Add another email address you own.
- In the Email address field, enter your alias.
- Click Next Step.
- Click Send Verification.
Gmail will send a verification message to your alias email address to confirm that you own it.
- Locate the message from Gmail. Open it and and either click the link contained in the message or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Google Apps email settings.
For full instructions see Send mail from a different address or alias.
- Individual: Valid as long as your NC State Gmail account is active or until you discontinue the alias.
- Organization: Must be renewed annually
Help with an alias
If you have questions about aliases, please contact the NC State Help Desk.