An NC State email alias provides an easy-to-remember alternative email address that points to your NC State Gmail address.
- Available to NC State faculty, staff and graduate students.
- An alias is not kept after an individual’s affiliation with the university ends or becomes ineligible for an alias.
- Graduate students will lose their aliases after completing their degree programs.
- It is recommended that graduate students not provide their aliases to correspondents they wish to keep after completing their degree programs.
- Available to campus units; i.e., departments, student organizations and other NC State entities.
- Not available to undergraduate students.
- Cannot conflict with any existing alias.
- Must be longer than 8 characters in length.
Individual alias (for faculty, staff and graduate students)
- Should be requested by the individual wanting the alias.
- Must be related to the user’s name in some way.
- Preferred alias format:
- Alternative formats:
- email@example.com (length requirements must still be met)
- Other alias formats will be considered.
Departmental alias (for campus units and student organizations)
- This is an alias that targets an existing Google Generic Account owned by a department, club or other NC State entity.
- Some departmental aliases have been created to target individual Unity IDs.
- We continue to maintain support for these existing aliases, but we no longer create new ones that target individual accounts.
- Instead, we recommend they be created as Google Generic Accounts.
- A departmental alias:
- Must be tied to a valid organization, office, club, or other entity at NC State.
- Cannot point to any external email address.
- Should always attempt to improve the identity of a given account.
- Simple cosmetic changes (e.g., switching dashes to underscores or vice versa) of aliases are discouraged.
as an alias for firstname.lastname@example.org
To obtain an alias
- Send a message to email@example.com with the following information:
- Your preferred alias.
- Your official NC State email address: <UnityID>@ncsu.edu
- Alias creation is undergoing some delay, but an alias will generally be available within seven business days of your request, and frequently much faster.
- Additional delay may occur if your alias is already in use or does not meet all the alias requirements.
To set up your alias
- Sign in to your NC State Gmail.
- At the top of the page, click on the gear (settings).
- From the drop-down menu, select:
- Under Send mail as, click:
Add another email address you own.
- In the Email address field:
enter your alias.
- Click Next Step.
- Click Send Verification.
Gmail will send a verification message to your alias email address to confirm that you own it.
- Open the verification message.
- Do either of the following:
- Click on the link contained in the message.
- Enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Gmail settings.
For full instructions see Send mail from a different address or alias.
- Individual alias
- Your alias is valid as long as your NC State Gmail account is active and your primary affiliation with the university is listed as faculty, staff or graduate student.
- You may also request any of your aliases to be retired at any time.
- NOTE: A message addressed to a retired or expired alias will bounce back to the sender with an “address does not exist” error.
- Departmental alias: Must be renewed on an annual basis.
Help with aliases
If you have any questions about aliases, please contact the NC State Help Desk.