Skip to content
Forwarding all your UnityID@ncsu.edu messages
- The Office of Information Technology recommends that you keep all your work- or student-related email in your G Suite account (UnityID@ncsu.edu) instead of forwarding it to a private address.
NOTE: Be sure to check your UnityID@ncsu.edu address for official university announcements. These are sent only to your UnityID@ncsu.edu address.
- This offers several advantages; e.g., when you share a G Suite Docs file, you’ll be using your UnityID@ncsu.edu address and not a private one.
- However, if you decide to forward your NC State Gmail, see Automatically forward incoming emails to another account.
- It is also possible to forward email by using filters in Gmail.
Forwarding individual messages
- Always verify a message before you forward it.
- Before forwarding an “urgent” message, first take a few moments to see if it is true.
- Top 10 sites to debunk internet hoaxes offers a list of reliable fact-checking sites that debunk numerous hoaxes.
- Go to one of those sites, enter some key words or phrases from the message, and search to see if it is a hoax.
- Explain a forwarded message.
Include a brief introductory note explaining why you are forwarding the message.
- Clean up a message before you send it.
- Don’t forward the entire message as is.
- If a message is worth sharing, it’s worth cleaning up first.
- Remove previous recipients’ names, email addresses, and >>> symbols.
- Copy only the part you want to forward and send it in a new email.
- Maintain privacy with the BCC option.
Maintain your recipients’ privacy by putting all their addresses in the BCC field instead of the TO or CC field.