Starting with fall 2021 graduates, OIT will offer an alumni email-only domain. Notification to fall 2021 graduates went out Monday, January 24, 2022 and OIT has started the process of emailing students that graduated earlier (between May 2010 and present) and offering them an alumni email account.
- Alumni email accounts will have a 2GB storage quota.
- This is an email only account; no other services available (e.g., calendar, Meet, Chat)
- Email address will be “unityid @ alumni.ncsu.edu”.
- Students will be able to transfer a copy of their student My Drive files and emails to a personal Google account and will receive instructions on how to do so. OIT does not recommend moving your email to your alumni email account since it has limited storage quota.
- If you are a current employee, be sure that you only transfer student data not work related data.
- Students retain access to their student Google account for six months after which time it will be disabled and files deleted.
- If you are an eligible student, visit NC State Alumni Email
Eligibility for using the Alumni Email Service
- Eligible students are those who graduated with a degree from NC State on or after May 5, 2010 (when NC State selected Google as a service).
- Students completing certificate programs at NC State are not eligible for the Alumni email service.
- Eligible students will be notified via email to their NC State student Google account (@ncsu.edu) when it’s time for their transition.
- Eligible students will be offered an email-only 2GB account.
- Eligible students will be provided access to Google’s transfer tool to transfer a copy of their student My Drive files and emails to a personal Google account.
- Students retain access to their NC State student Google account for six months, after which time the NC State account will be disabled and files deleted.
- During the six months of extended access, OIT will send all communications to your student Google account (unityid @ncsu.edu). OIT recommends that you forward your student email to your preferred email address to stay informed of important dates and transitions regarding your student account.
Alumni Email Service Phases
Due to the number of graduated students that are eligible, the opportunity to request an Alumni email account will be done in phases. The following general phases have been identified:
Phase 1: students graduating in 2021 and ongoing graduates
- Alumni domain goes live for fall 2021 graduates; OIT offers this service on an ongoing basis to student graduates.
Phase 2: students who graduated between May 2010 – May 2021
- Former eligible graduates will be notified via their @ncsu.edu account when it’s their time to transition to an Alumni email account and/or to transfer a copy of their My Drive files and emails to a personal Google account.
- While graduates may continue to use their @ncsu.edu account until they are notified, OIT recommends that students review their current storage usage by visiting https://drive.google.com/settings/storage and delete items that are no longer needed. Once notified it’s time to move, graduates will have six months to transition before their NC State account is disabled and data is deleted.
Phase 3: Graduates of NC State prior to May 2010
- No decision has been made on offering alumni email accounts to graduates who earned degrees prior to May 2010 (before NC State went with the Google service).
- Alumni who graduated prior to May 2010 can complete this form which will be shared with the NC State Alumni Association and they will notify you if or when this option becomes available.
Terms of Service for your NC State Alumni Email Account:
- NC State University and Google, LLC reserve the right to temporarily or permanently disable an account due to abuse, compromise, or other malevolent behavior.
- NC State reserves the right to discontinue the offering of an alumni domain (accounts) to graduated students with proper notification to these users.
- Federal or State laws and regulations, as well as NC State Policies, Regulations and Rules, apply to accounts in the alumni.ncsu.edu domain.
- NC State has agreed to Terms of Service (TOS) for Core Services for our Google Alumni domain; individual users agree to Google’s Terms of Service (TOS) for any consumer apps available in the Alumni Google domain. See https://policies.google.com/terms?hl=en for additional information.
- Alumni Email accounts that show no activity in a twelve month timeframe will be disabled; affected users should contact the NC State Help Desk.
- The Alumni Email account is provided by NC State and support for forgotten passwords/password resets and Google two-step verification (G2SV) assistance is provided by the Help Desk. Users should set recovery options such as a phone number and backup email address to help prove identity.
- Stay in touch with the Pack and allow NC State to email you periodically with campus updates, news, events and opportunities to connect with your fellow alumni.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.