Eric Sills, Assistant Vice Chancellor
Shared Services provides a wide array of enterprise level middleware services for OIT and other campus IT organizations. Shared services in collaboration with the Research Office, the Office of the Provost, and colleges also provides High Performance Computing (HPC) and Virtual Computing Lab (VCL) services. Additionally, Shared Services has systems architects for enterprise resource planning (ERP) applications and Identity Management, and assists with various special IT projects.
- IT systems research and development, IT systems architecture, Identity management systems architecture
- Application Infrastructure Services
- middleware/multi-tier application services (e.g., PeopleSoft and SAS Business Intelligence)
- Identity and Web Services
- Web services, Identity management, Authentication and authorization services
- Windows Middleware Services
- WolfTech Directory Services, WolfTech Configuration Management, Antivirus service, AD Federated Services, AD Public Key Infrastructure, WolfTech AD Automation & Integration.
Infrastructure Platform and Services
- Central Services and Integration
- Enterprise scale Unix / Linux including Realm Linux and RHN Satellite, MySQL database, Nagios (Sysnews Tools) Monitoring Services, OpenAFS, Email Relays, Configuration Management Services using Puppet, campus NTP, and Printing Services.
- Platform Compute Services
- Infrastructure deployment, Virtual server service, Hardware systems service, Cloud services integration, and VCL development and operation
- Distributed memory and shared memory parallel computing resources; large HPC data storage; HPC software; HPC support, consulting, and collaboration
- On campus storage for research data. Default allocation for each awarded grant for duration of the grant plus ten years. Two file systems, one that can be mounted from any campus computer with a static IP address (after computer has been registered with the storage) that is not compliant with NIST 800-171 and second that is NIST 800-171 compliant that can only be mounted from NIST 800-171 compliant endpoints over compliant network connections.
- Private cloud computing services: application delivery for faculty and students, instructional server deployment, long-term server deployment. Apache VCL project management. Apache VCL development.
- Facilitating NC Community College use of VCL – funded by NC Community Colleges
- Use of VCL to deliver instructional software for teaching math to middle school students – funded by NSF
- National Collaborative for Bio-Preparedness (NCB-Prepared) – Homeland Security funded biopreparedness project in collaboration with UNC-Chapel Hill and SAS